I spent my Saturday morning following through with an adorable (and extremely easy) DIY project to add some festive fall feel to my front steps.
Things you’ll need:
- Two standard jack-o-lantern candy buckets (or more depending on where you plan to place them)
- A can of gold spray paint
- Blank paint and a paint brush (optional if you’d like to repaint the face on after the spray paint dries)
- Mums or fall flowers of your choice!
- Potting soil
- Gardening gloves
1. First and foremost, I purchased two jack-o-lantern candy baskets and gold spray paint from Walmart and bought a planter of three different mums from a local flower shop.
Set everything out together and start by spraying the pumpkin buckets with the gold spray paint at a far enough distance to avoid running (do not spray paint the bottom of the buckets yet).2. Cut the handles off of the pumpkin buckets. Touch-up holes around the handles with more spray paint if necessary. (Keeping the handles on while you spray the buckets provides you with something to grab onto while avoiding getting paint all over your hands).3. Flip the containers upside down and spray the bottoms. Leave them for about 30 minutes to an hour to ensure they dry properly.4. Carefully separate the mums and transplant them into each of the jack-o-lantern buckets. Use the extra potting soil to gently move the plant’s branches aside and fill in the rounded gaps.5. Place your new, shiny, DIY planters wherever your heart desires! You can turn them so the jack-o-lantern faces outward leading up to Halloween and/or turn them around so just the pumpkin front shows-perfect for extending the decor through Thanksgiving.Take some time to unleash your creativity and let your DIY skills do their work!